And in today’s Cover Story, Katie Pavlich updates us on the one aspect of the AP scandal most of the MSM…and all of the White House…wants kept under wraps:
White House Didn’t Want Story AP Was Monitored Over Published Until Obama Could Brag About It
As I’ve written before, President Obama and his Justice Department have no problems with national security leaks so long as they make Obama look good; i.e., the Osama bin Laden raid. For the past week, outrage has been expressed from Democrats and Republicans over the DOJ secretly monitoring the personal and work phones of Associated Press reporters. The monitoring was prompted by a national security leak.
Speaking about the monitoring earlier this week, Attorney General Eric Holder made it a point to stress how “serious” of a leak this was. “It’s in the top two or three most serious leaks I’ve ever seen,” Holder said.
But now, the Washington Post (Saaaay WHAT?!?) is reporting that the administration planned to brag about the very case that prompted the DOJ to secretly monitor the AP after reporters wrote about the case:
For five days, reporters at the Associated Press had been sitting on a big scoop about a foiled al-Qaeda plot at the request of CIA officials. Then, in a hastily scheduled Monday morning meeting, the journalists were asked by agency officials to hold off on publishing the story for just one more day.
The CIA officials, who had initially cited national security concerns in an attempt to delay publication, no longer had those worries, according to individuals familiar with the exchange. Instead, the Obama administration was planning to announce the successful counterterrorism operation that Tuesday.
AP balked and proceeded to publish that Monday afternoon. Its May 2012 report is now at the center of a controversial and broad seizure of phone records of AP reporters’ home, office and cellphone lines. Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. said the unauthorized disclosure about an intelligence operation to stop al-Qaeda from detonating explosives aboard a U.S. airliner was among the most serious leaks he could remember, and justified secretly obtaining records from a handful of reporters and editors over a span of two months.
Now, some members of Congress and media advocates are questioning why the administration viewed the leak that led to the May 7 AP story as so grave.
The president’s top counterterrorism adviser at the time, John O. Brennan, had appeared on “Good Morning America” the following day to trumpet the successful operation. He said that because of the work of U.S. intelligence, the plot did not pose an active threat to the American public.
Basically, Holder’s DOJ monitored AP phones because the administration was upset Obama couldn’t brag about the bust before anyone else. Amazing.
Amazing? Not really. For this band of self-absorbed, power-hungry miscreants led by the most inept, inexperienced and ill-suited man ever to sit in the Oval Office, it’s simply…
…par for the course.